6.18.2012

More on the Starbucks Bracelets...

Slightly less than a month ago, I wrote a quick piece on the Create Jobs for USA bracelets which I often see in various Starbucks locations, but never on actual people. The point of the blog was to discuss whether or not the program had any actual worth, either for Starbucks or for the jobless. Over the past week, I have been able to answer one of those questions.

The last time I was in a Starbucks I pointed to a rack of the bracelets and asked my favorite barista if anyone actually buys them. He perked up and noted (without directly answering the question) that about $1 million had been raised for jobs programs by the initiative. I also noted that the Create Jobs for USA line has expanded to ceramic mugs, travel mugs, and even an 'indivisible' coffee blend.

So what is the answer to the question I posed above? It is that the program (as in all likelihood was intended) is serving as a major talking point (and therefore a benefit) for the company. As I noted in the last post, share values have been generally rising, so maybe having this program in place is viewed positively (or at least isn't detracting from value, a major tenet of the no harm, no foul school of investing).

As to whether the program is helping the jobless, I am not sure. One million dollars is certainly a lot of money, but spread over 50 states and all those individuals looking for jobs, it would seem to be no more than a small drop in a very big bucket, even when added to the $5 million donation the Starbucks Foundation already made. Oh well, it's certainly better than nothing, and who knows, it might even keep a Starbucks or two safe during the next Occupy/WTO/UN protest.

No word on whether any of the funds have made their way to those impacted by mass store closures a few years back...

No comments:

Post a Comment